Friday, February 23, 2007

Make Strategically Correct Decisions


Yes, make strategically correct decisions than immediately profitable ones. Easier said than done, right? If ever I knew all the strategic implications and if all the immediate profitability came as measurable, I would never have erred. Bounded by limited rationality that I as human being have inherited, taking long term approach to all our immediate problems may not appear feasible.

That said, have I not made a sweeping assumption that taking a strategically right decision is just not possible in light of immediate need, particularly so when I find immediate gratification in going a particular way. I am not brushing aside my own logic at the time of decision making that I have considered all pros and cons. There are perceptional errors of recency, which dictate our response to lot of these problems. There are externalities which we don’t know how to qualify and, of course, quantify. How often do I consider my future needs and how often I am not driven by next hour’s requirements? But are there ways to circumvent such terrible occasions which have planted mines for future?

Luckily, most often, the problems have been trivial and their solutions from either perspective would have led to only marginally different course of future for me. But in some cases, I have gone terribly wrong and am on the path which I find bumpy to walk on. I call these learning experience and prod along.

Okay, the directive for me still holds good, at least, in principle. I have pasted this vow on my desk to keep myself alert.

(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home