Monday, February 08, 2010

I love you, Mammu.


Well, it does not require me to, but for the reason of putting this on record that I write this note of gratitude to Mammu, my mother-in-law. She has been a blessing and that the statement cannot reveal the extent is only a handicap of the language.

We met first in Mumbai when she had come on her way to Calicut. I was in philosophically aligned dress, for which I get pulled up even now, but it was a weekend and what can one expect from young single straight-out-of-college at the top-of-ranks-table guy. She was affectionate while Didi bullied me by offering and coercing me to eat some bitter and boring-looking fruit on good-for-health pretext. Then we met in Hyderabad at my bachelor’s abode that had less than bare minimum to survive. I had hosted a lunch for her, Didi and Supriya. We connected well even though she possibly did not sense that Supriya and I were in love and were planning ahead. And then for some reasons, she and Didi had to stay at my place for a few days while I had a trip to UK. These were the times when she connected me as just a good friend of her younger daughter. Also, I am sure that I would not have impressed her so much to even let her imagine that Supriya could ever like me for her life.

And then we decided to drop the bombshell. She was in Calicut when she and Supriya had the inevitable discussion. Supriya called me to say that I should call her mom and discuss. It was a tough task, and made tougher by the medium. It could have been much easier to talk face to face, but I didn’t have an option. And added to this was the concern that if she reacted the way my parents had, Supriya and I would have to call it off. We had initially planned that if my parents agreed to our proposal, we could then arrange a meeting and let Mammu and my parents decide the way forward. But that was not to be, since my parents had given up on me and were not willing to consent to our relationship. That very fact made my conversation with Mammu that evening seem difficult. I can now remember pacing down those under-construction roads near my office for quite a long time on my phone, talking to Mammu and trying to be transparent. I can’t remember the content of this talk, but I was sure that I did not sound very convincing. But she agreed to our marriage, for her concern was not her happiness but that of Supriya and mine.

Then she and Didi managed our marriage like a fairy tale. I had imagined of our marriage in a dark and damp shady office of registrar of marriages, but it was a ceremony beyond my dreams. A beautifully decorated Chruch with full choir and a servant of God to solemnize our marriage in the presence of God and His people – well, I couldn’t have asked for more. I now look back to my wedding with thanksgiving to the Lord and bless Mammu and Didi for having orchestrated a beautiful memory for Supriya and me.

Through the wedding and my departure to Kuwait soon after, I was worried if Mammu would be able to accept me as I was. But she was always full of love. And she was full of patience. It must have been difficult for her to know that her beloved daughter took a husband that didn’t have enough appliances at home and was managing life with not much comfort to offer to his wife. But that never stopped her from loving me as her own.

Now, I am saved and I have accepted Jesus as my saviour and Lord. And with that has come to me the treasure of eternal life; and uncomplicated love and complete assurance of God’s presence in my life on this earth. My perspective of life has been changed completely – I am a spiritual being going through this momentary terrestrial experience, and hence, the pain of living in the world has ceased to exist. I enjoy God’s love, mercies, and blessings through His grace. But all this did not come without God’s consent for me to be added to His family and His kingdom. And for that, I am more than certain that Supriya, Didi and Mammu have prayed a lot. I am thankful for her intercessions with Lord that made me receive His salvation.

And now we have an addition in my family. Bam is a bundle of joy as much as she is a fountain of energy. With both Supriya and I continuing in our vocations, which we love, it meant Mammu would need to take our burden. And Mammu that we know, she happily agreed. It is not easy when I and Supriya at times lose our cool and find ourselves grossly inadequate to manage the little one. But she does provide Bam with the much needed attention. She has been a blessing to Bambi, more so when I have had to travel for longer durations.

Well, yesterday we were playing all fun games to divert Bambi as she was slightly cranky in her tight fit dress. And I realized that neither Supriya and much less I could do what Mammu has been doing for our baby.

I bless her in the name of Jesus with abundant life – full of everlasting joy, happiness, health and peace - and pray that God will make her a blessing to many more. Thanking her would be tremendous understatement of gratitude. I thank God for He chose Mammu to be mine. And I love her for all she has been to me and my family.
*
(The picture is of my wedding reception in Calicut)

1 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Praise the Lord Honey. Its only through the love of our saviour we can share this unconditional love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home